Kansas City Dangerous Drug Attorney
Whether prescription medication or over-the-counter medication, drugs are designed to improve health, curb painful conditions, and make life more enjoyable. However, far too often, dangerous drugs enter the marketplace by medication errors and cause more harm than good. This is particularly frustrating when a drug is marketed in such a way that you believe it will help but fails to follow through. If you think you maybe the victim of a dangerous drug case, contact our experienced Fowler Pickert Eisenmenger, LLC Kansas City dangerous drug lawyers, today.
If you or a loved one has suffered at the hands of a dangerous drug, it’s important that you take action. Not only do you owe it to yourself, but the thousands and potentially millions of other unsuspecting users deserve to know the truth. Don’t remain silent; take action! If you don’t already have one, hire a medical malpractice lawyer in Kansas City, MO that you can trust.
Examples of Potentially Dangerous Drugs
While the list continually evolves and changes, here are some of the potentially dangerous drugs on the market – as frequently reported in claims and lawsuits:
- Antidepressants. Taking the wrong antidepressant can often lead to negative side effects and even birth defects in pregnant women. Some of the drugs frequently reported in dangerous drug lawsuits include Prozac, Zoloft, and Effexor.
- Birth control. Women using certain forms of contraception – including, but not limited to, NuvaRing, Yaz, and Mifeprex – occasionally report heart attacks, strokes, and blood clots.
- Diabetes. While there are dozens of safe diabetes medications on the market, many have been linked to lawsuits for having adverse cardiovascular effects. Some of these include Januvia, Victoza, Avandia, Actos, and Byetta.
- Painkillers. While designed to alleviate pain, many painkillers cause more harm than good. Lawsuits have frequently been attached to drugs including Tylenol, Benzocaine, Methadone, and Actiq.
- Weight loss. People will do anything to lose weight, and the unfortunate fact of the matter is that pharmaceutical companies will cut corners to get a drug to market. Symptoms like high blood pressure, stroke, heart attack, and liver damage have frequently been associated with drugs like Meridia, Hydroxycut, and Ephedra.
- Other drugs. In addition to the examples mentioned here, other popular drugs that are potentially dangerous include Cymbalta, Lariam, Lipitor, Prempro, Reglan, Risperdal, Viagra, Xarelto, and Zelnorm.
What to Do If You Are Exposed to a Dangerous Drug
If you believe you have been exposed to a dangerous drug, it’s critical that you respond in an appropriate manner. Start by stopping the drug immediately or – if necessary – completing the required cycle. Next, contact your doctor and tell them about the painful or dangerous side effects you have experienced and ask them if they could be related to your drug regimen. Finally, contact a personal injury attorney based in Kansas City, MO to discuss your options and determine whether you have the necessary elements for a successful dangerous drug claim.
The Elements of a Dangerous Drug Claim
For your dangerous drug claim to be valid, you must prove all of the following four elements are true:
- You must prove you were injured or suffered illness.
- You must prove that the drug is dangerous or defective in some manner.
- You must prove that the drug was the cause of your sustained injury or illness.
- You must prove you were using the drug as it was intended to be used.
If each of these claims can be proven true in a lawsuit, you will likely be awarded some amount of compensation. This could include compensation for medical expenses, future medical expenses, pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment, future income, and more.
For additional information on your potential case, contact a Kansas City dangerous drug attorney today. You deserve the right to health and happiness, and dangerous drugs have no place in the marketplace. On behalf of yourself and the many others using these potentially dangerous drugs, take action!