Moped License Laws in Kansas City

You need a standard driver’s license in Missouri to operate a moped. If you already have a valid driver’s license, you can operate your moped in Kansas City without needing a special motorcycle license. Otherwise, you will need to pass the requirements for obtaining a driver’s license, including the age minimum, written test, and driving test. If your cycle exceeds the criteria of a moped in either state, odds are you have a motorcycle and will need a special Class M license to lawfully operate the vehicle in Kansas City.

Other Moped Laws to Know

You do not need vehicle insurance to operate a moped in Kansas City. You may operate your moped without acquiring the minimum amounts of liability coverage. You cannot ride a moped on sidewalks in Kansas City. Instead, stick to bicycle lanes where available or the street where there are no bicycle lanes. You cannot ride a moped on the interstate or highways in Missouri. As a moped operator, you must obey all traffic rules and regulations in Missouri as you would with a typical motor vehicle. This includes:

  • Driving in the same direction as traffic
  • Keeping a safe following and passing distance
  • Stopping at all traffic lights and stop signs
  • Yielding the right-of-way
  • Signaling your intent to turn
  • Having proper headlight, brake and turn lights
  • Properly maintaining your vehicle

In Missouri, you do not have to wear a helmet while operating a moped. Note, however, that helmets are mandatory if you operate a motorcycle under the age of 18. Wearing a helmet, however, can greatly decrease your risk of a serious head or brain injury in the event of a collision. Experts recommend wearing helmets and other protective gear on a moped, keeping your actions predictable, and obeying the rules of the road to keep yourself as safe as possible on a moped in Missouri.

What if You Get Into an Accident?

A vehicle-moped collision will almost always inflict more harm on the person riding the moped. You could suffer broken bones, lacerations, road rash, a brain injury, or a spinal cord injury because of a driver’s negligence or inattention. After a collision, contact a lawyer for advice. You may be able to recover financial damages through an insurance and/or personal injury claim in Missouri. A lawyer can help strengthen your case against an at-fault driver.

Ryan Fowler
Helping Kansas City area medical malpractice, nursing home abuse and personal injury clients.