Medical Malpractice at Bonner Springs, KS City Hospitals
The aftermath of medical malpractice can be severe for Bonner Springs residents. An injury or worsening illness as a result of a medical professional’s negligence can easily lead to thousands of dollars in additional medical bills, months of painful recovery time and lost wages, and significant emotional and physical consequences.
Recovery from medical malpractice can be difficult, but you have legal options available to you. Under Kansas law, you can recover damages for your injuries through a medical malpractice lawsuit in civil court. Depending on the circumstances surrounding your case, you could file your claim against the individuals responsible for your injury as well as the hospital where you suffered the malpractice.
What Is Medical Malpractice?
Medical malpractice happens when a medical professional causes injury to you while treating you in a professional capacity, either through a negligent act or a failure to act. Any medical professional can commit an act of malpractice, including doctors, surgeons, nurses, obstetricians, and specialists. This negligence can occur at any facility — including the hospitals in and around Bonner Springs, Kansas.
Medical malpractice can involve a number of different acts of negligence or omission. Some of the most common acts of malpractice include the following.
- Failure to diagnose a condition
- Misdiagnosing one condition as another
- Performing surgery on the wrong body part
- Administering an incorrect dosage of anesthesia during surgery
- Committing a mistake during the labor or delivery process, leading to birth injury
- Prematurely discharging a patient
- Failure to provide proper aftercare or follow-up
- Prescribing the wrong medication or the wrong dosage
When Can a Hospital Be Responsible for Medical Malpractice in Missouri?
In most medical malpractice cases, you file your claim against the individual medical professional or group of professionals who are directly responsible for the injuries you suffered. However, you can name the facility where you suffered your injury if your case involves one of the following scenarios.
- The medical professional responsible for your injuries is an employee of the hospital.
- The medical professional is an independent contractor operating out of the hospital, appeared to be an employee of the hospital, and the facility failed to inform you of this fact on your admissions paperwork.
- The medical professional is an independent contractor and had a history of negligent or dangerous behavior. The hospital was aware or should have been aware of this behavior and failed to take action to remedy it.
Proving a case of medical malpractice can be difficult when a hospital is involved, and determining whether or not your case involves one of the following circumstances is equally complex. However, you can accomplish this with the assistance of a Kansas City medical malpractice attorney. Your lawyer will evaluate the facts of your case and conduct the investigation necessary to determine if you could name the facility in your lawsuit.
Are You a Victim of Medical Malpractice in Bonner Springs?
The impacts of medical malpractice can be severe, leading to significant physical, financial, and emotional consequences. This negligence can happen in any facility, including the University of Kansas Hospital, Overland Park Regional Medical Center, and many other hospitals and clinics within driving distance of Bonner Springs.
If you suffer injury due to medical malpractice in Bonner Springs, it is incredibly important to seek help as soon as possible. Kansas imposes a two-year statute of limitations on medical malpractice lawsuits, and if you file your claim after this deadline passes, the court will refuse to hear your case.
To protect and improve your chances of obtaining the compensation you need to recover, contact Fowler Pickert Eisenmenger Norfleet today. Our Kansas City personal injury attorneys have years of experience assisting Bonner Springs residents with their medical malpractice lawsuits, tapping into our firm’s wide network of resources to craft the most compelling case possible.
Contact us today to schedule your free consultation with one of our attorneys. We will take the time to learn your side of the story, discuss your legal options, and help you strategize your next steps.