Medical Malpractice at Clinton, MO City Hospitals
Posted in Medical Malpractice on April 23, 2020
When we seek treatment at a hospital or medical facility in Clinton, Missouri, we place our trust in the medical professionals who care for us. In these moments, we are often at our most vulnerable, and we do not expect to suffer more harm while seeking help. Unfortunately, medical malpractice is prevalent in Missouri hospitals, and we may suffer negligence at the hands of our healthcare providers.
In these situations, you may be eligible to collect financial compensation to recover from your losses through a medical malpractice lawsuit. You can file your claim against the individual medical professional directly responsible for your injuries, and in some cases, you could file your lawsuit against the hospital itself.
Holding Missouri Hospitals Responsible for Malpractice
You can hold any medical professional who treats you in a professional capacity liable for an act of medical malpractice, including nurses, doctors, surgeons, obstetricians, anesthesiologists, and other specialists. You could hold the hospital or medical facility where you suffered the malpractice responsible in your lawsuit, depending on the employment status of the negligent professional.
If the medical professional is an employee of the hospital, you can file your claim against the facility. If the individual is an independent contractor who works out of the hospital, you can only hold the hospital liable under one of the following scenarios.
- If the negligent individual has a history of dangerous or negligent behavior and the hospital was aware or should have been aware of this behavior and failed to act, you can name the facility in your lawsuit.
- If the negligent individual appeared to be an employee of the hospital and the facility failed to inform you that he or she was an independent contractor on your admissions paperwork, you can file your claim against the hospital.
What Damages Can You Collect in a Missouri Medical Malpractice Case?
You can collect two main types of damages in a medical malpractice lawsuit: economic and non-economic. Economic damages refer to the tangible, financial losses you suffered as a result of the malpractice, such as medical expenses, lost wages, and future medical treatment. Non-economic damages refer to the intangible losses you suffered, including loss of future earning capacity, pain and suffering, and the development of mental illnesses such as anxiety or depression.
Missouri does not impose a limit on the amount of economic damages you can claim in a medical malpractice case. However, you can only claim up to $400,000 in non-economic damages, or up to $700,000 in non-economic damages for cases that result in catastrophic personal injury or wrongful death.
What to Do If You Experience Medical Malpractice in Clinton, MO
Medical malpractice can occur anywhere, including the medical facilities in and around Clinton, Missouri. If you experienced an act of malpractice at Golden Valley Memorial Hospital or a nearby facility, it is important to act quickly to preserve as much evidence as possible.
- Seek medical treatment from a different facility or healthcare provider. Seeking treatment from the same individuals who harmed you could open you up to injury, and having a second doctor look at your injury can help you understand the damage that the first individual caused.
- Save all pieces of documentation related to your injury, hospital visits, any diagnoses or medications you received from your doctor, or other records of your treatment. These will serve as important pieces of evidence in your case.
- Contact a medical malpractice attorney as soon as possible. Your lawyer will help you understand your legal options and will assist you in filing your claim within Missouri’s two-year statute of limitations.
If you need a Kansas City medical malpractice lawyer to represent your claim, look no further than Fowler Pickert Eisenmenger Norfleet. Our Missouri law firm has significant experience handling medical negligence claims in Clinton and beyond, and we have a strong grasp of the strategies, processes, and resources necessary to build a compelling case in your favor.
Contact our firm today to schedule your free consultation with one of our malpractice attorneys and to strategize your next steps.