Medical Malpractice at North Kansas City, MO City Hospitals
Posted in Medical Malpractice on May 12, 2020
Medical malpractice is a serious type of negligence that involves medical professionals inflicting harm on their patients through negligent acts or omissions. If you experience medical malpractice in North Kansas City, you can suffer significant physical, financial, and emotional harm — and you have the right to collect compensation for your damages through a lawsuit in Missouri civil court.
Through your lawsuit, you have the right to hold the healthcare provider or providers directly responsible for your injuries liable. In some cases, you may be able to name the hospital where the malpractice occurred as well.
How to Hold a Hospital Liable for Medical Malpractice
To name a hospital in your medical malpractice lawsuit, you will need to know the employment status of the negligent healthcare provider. If he or she was an employee of the hospital, you can hold the hospital accountable.
However, not all medical professionals are hospital employees. Some are independent contractors, which often releases the hospital from liability in medical malpractice cases. If the at-fault professional was a contractor, you can name the hospital in your lawsuit if your case involves at least one of two scenarios.
- The at-fault party was an independent contractor, appeared to be a hospital of the employee, and the facility failed to inform you that he or she was a contractor on your admissions paperwork.
- The at-fault party was an independent contractor and had a history of reckless, negligent, or dangerous behavior. The hospital was aware of this behavior and failed to take action.
Proving a Medical Malpractice Case in Missouri
After you determine who to hold accountable in your lawsuit, you and your medical malpractice attorney will need to work together to build a compelling case in your favor. Proving a medical malpractice case in Missouri involves supplying evidence to prove the following four elements.
- The at-fault medical professional owed you a duty of care and treated you in a professional capacity.
- The at-fault party breached his or her duty of care to you in some way.
- This breach of care directly caused your injuries.
- You suffered damages as a result of the malpractice that you can collect through your lawsuit settlement.
Did You Experience Medical Malpractice in North Kansas City, MO?
North Kansas City, Missouri is home to many hospitals, clinics, and other medical facilities. While the majority of healthcare workers in these institutions uphold their duty of care, others may not — leading to medical malpractice. If you suffered additional injury or a worsening illness as a result of negligence at a North Kansas City hospital or a facility in the surrounding area, you may have legal options available to you.
- Saint Luke’s North Hospital
- North Kansas City Hospital
- Truman Medical Center
- The University of Kansas Health System
If you need a skilled med mal lawyer who understands medicine and knows the North Kansas City court system, look no further than Fowler Pickert Eisenmenger Norfleet. With over 25 years of personal injury law experience and specialized knowledge of medical malpractice, our Missouri law firm will work closely with you to determine your optimal pathways to maximum compensation.
Fowler Pickert Eisenmenger Norfleet has handled hundreds of medical malpractice cases, and our experienced Kansas City medical malpractice attorneys can help you understand your legal options. Contact us today to schedule your free consultation and begin planning your next steps.