Kansas City Gynecologic Surgical Malpractice Attorney
When you visit a gynecologist, you trust that the medical professional treating you is providing a certain standard of care. Often, these doctors must perform serious and sensitive procedures, including the treatment of pregnancy-related disorders, the removal of ovarian cysts, and hysterectomies. If you suffer an injury during one of these procedures, the consequences can be life-altering.
If you believe that your gynecologist committed an act of malpractice during surgery, you deserve justice. The attorneys at Fowler Pickert Eisenmenger Norfleet have the medical resources, legal knowledge, and litigation skills you need to hold your doctor accountable.
Why Choose Us
- Our attorneys have over 25 years of combined litigation experience, representing our clients’ best interests in the courtroom and during negotiations.
- Since medical malpractice cases rely heavily on scientific evidence, we have developed relationships with expert witnesses who can validate your claim and provide testimony on your behalf.
- Our firm assumes all the risk for your lawsuit. Since we operate on a contingency fee basis, we will not collect legal fees unless we secure a settlement on your behalf.
What Counts as Medical Malpractice?
A medical professional commits medical malpractice when he or she causes harm to a patient through a negligent act or omission. When it comes to gynecologic surgery lawsuits, some element of negligence has to be present for you to prove your need for compensation. If you develop a foreseeable complication after the surgery, your case is not likely to be eligible for a lawsuit.
However, if your surgeon commits a preventable error or acts in a way that a reasonable and similarly trained surgeon would not have in the same situation, your case may qualify as medical malpractice. If a medical professional commits gross negligence, or acts in a way that shows disregard for the safety of his or her patients, you can also hold him or her liable in a lawsuit.
Common Types of Gynecologic Surgical Errors
All surgeries can result in complications, including gynecologic procedures. It is your doctor’s responsibility to warn you of potential risks before your operation so you can make the most informed decision about your healthcare. If you sustain an injury due to a preventable error or intentional act, however, it may be due to negligence.
A medical professional can commit an error pre-operation, during the procedure, and during postoperative care. Common types of gynecologic surgical errors that rise to the level of malpractice may include the following.
- Performing an unnecessary surgery
- Performing surgery on the wrong area
- Injuring adjacent organs during surgery without treating them
- Failure to provide proper oversight of the surgical team
- Failure to diagnose or treat a postoperative infection
- Failure to diagnose or treat postoperative bleeding
- Failure to prescribe appropriate postoperative medications
- Failure to provide adequate aftercare or discharge instructions
- Failure to provide all relevant information prior to asking for informed consent
All of these errors can result in serious physical, financial, and emotional harm. You may need to pay for additional medical care, struggle with long-term damage to your reproductive capabilities, and experience physical and emotional pain. You can collect compensation for these injuries through a medical malpractice lawsuit in Missouri civil court.
Contact Fowler Pickert Eisenmenger Norfleet Today
Suffering an injury during gynecologic surgery can impact your life in several ways, from expensive postoperative medical bills to psychological trauma and long-term physical damage. If you believe your injury is the result of medical malpractice, Fowler Pickert Eisenmenger Norfleet can help.
We represent Kansas City residents in their claims against negligent medical professionals. Contact us today to schedule your free consultation and speak with one of our gynecologic surgery injury attorneys.