If you believe you or a loved one is the victim of medical malpractice in Kansas City, contacting a medical malpractice lawyer for legal advice and compassionate guidance is important. An experienced medical malpractice lawyer can help you understand your rights and options after injuries suffered due to a medical professional's actions—or lack of action. A lawyer can also provide you with the legal representation necessary to pursue a claim for compensation as a result of malpractice.
Common Causes of Medical Malpractice
Medical malpractice occurs when a doctor, hospital, or other healthcare provider fails to provide standard care, putting patients at risk of injury. Causes of medical malpractice include, but aren’t limited to:
- Making an incorrect or delayed diagnosis
- Failing to order medical diagnostic tests
- Surgical errors or medication mistakes
- Birth injuries
- Defective medical device or product liability
The consequences of medical malpractice can be devastating, frequently resulting in long-term disabilities and physical pain that require costly treatment over time. In some cases, malpractice causes a patient’s death. A knowledgeable lawyer is essential for ensuring you get the compensation you deserve.
Why You Need a Medical Malpractice Lawyer
One of the primary benefits of hiring a Kansas City medical malpractice lawyer is they’re skilled in this area of law. Most medical malpractice claims are complicated, but an attorney with an accomplished track record defending these cases knows what to expect, and will help you understand the legal process and how your case should proceed.
Many lawyers offer a free initial consultation to discuss your case and work on a contingency fee basis. When an attorney works on a contingency, they’ll only be paid if they obtain a winning outcome for your case—and won’t receive any payment if your case is unsuccessful. As a client, this is beneficial for you, since there isn’t any risk in filing a lawsuit. After reviewing your case to determine if you have a medical malpractice claim, they’ll explain your rights and help you decide the best course of action.
Another advantage of hiring a Kansas City medical malpractice lawyer is they handle all legal aspects of your case. Here are just a few steps in the process they’ll cover:
- Investigate your case and gather evidence to support your claim. This may include reviewing medical records, consulting with medical experts, and interviewing witnesses.
- File the claim in a timely manner. Most medical malpractice lawsuits must be filed within a certain statute of limitations or risk being dismissed by the court.
- Determine the value of your claim. Your medical malpractice attorney calculates all your potential damages—including medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering—to ensure you receive proper compensation.
- Negotiate with insurance companies and other parties on your behalf. They’ll use their legal expertise to ensure you receive a fair settlement covering your damages.
- Represent you in court. While most medical malpractice cases are settled out of court, having a lawyer on your side who’s prepared to go to trial gives you added leverage during negotiations.
Medical Malpractice Cases Require an Experienced Team
Your frustration over injuries caused by medical malpractice is completely understandable, but again, these cases can be complex, and hard to tackle alone. There are many factors to consider when pursuing a claim.
For example, you need to prove the medical professional's actions or lack of action caused your injuries. A skilled attorney understands the evidence required for this and determines the extent of your damages. In addition, many medical malpractice claims often involve multiple parties, such as:
- Medical professionals, such as physicians, surgeons, nursing staff, and others
- Hospitals and other care facilities
- Insurance companies
These parties may have their own legal teams experienced in defending against medical malpractice claims. Without a skilled Kansas City medical malpractice lawyer on your side, you may be at a disadvantage when negotiating with these parties. So rely on your legal team’s expertise to reduce the burden during an already stressful time so you can focus on recovery.
Have You Or a Loved One Been Injured Due To Medical Malpractice In Kansas City, Missouri?
If you believe you or a loved one has been harmed due to medical practice you should speak with an experienced medical malpractice lawyer as soon as possible. Please feel free to contact us online or call our office directly at 816.832.4688 to schedule your free consultation. We are proud to serve Kansas City, Missouri and the surrounding area and look forward to speaking with you.