Hospitals are supposed to treat us in our most vulnerable moments, and we trust hospital management, staff members, and doctors to provide us with the correct standard of care. However, many professionals who work in these facilities commit acts of medical malpractice, leading to severe injuries and even death.
If you are the victim of hospital negligence, you have legal options available to you. You can pursue compensation for your losses through a medical malpractice lawsuit — and Fowler Pickert Eisenmenger Norfleet can help.
Why Choose Us
- Our firm has handled hundreds of medical malpractice cases, ensuring we have the strategies and experience necessary to represent your claim.
- We have over 25 years of combined legal practice in multiple areas of personal injury and wrongful death law, with significant litigation, negotiation, and trial experience.
- Our attorneys focus on maximizing your recovery. We will examine each pathway to maximum compensation to ensure you receive the necessary funds for your long-term costs.
Common Causes of Medical Malpractice by Hospital Staff Members
Many medical malpractice claims occur due to the negligence of hospital staff members and the inadequate upkeep of the facility. Hospital staff members, such as nurses and assistants, may commit these acts of negligence. Hospital mismanagement and understaffing also contribute to these acts of harm.
Common causes of hospital negligence include the following.
- Hospital-acquired infections due to unsanitary facilities, such as MRSA
- Medication errors, such as administering the wrong dose or a medication you are allergic to
- Misreading of X-rays and other test results, resulting in the wrong diagnosis
- Improper IV placement, leading to serious injury
- Improperly trained and unqualified staff members
- Failure to discuss the side effects and risks of a certain medication
- Improper and inconsistent patient monitoring
- Inadequate and defective medical devices and mobility equipment
All of these acts of negligence can lead to serious infections, additional injuries, and even life-threatening complications.
When Can You File a Lawsuit Against a Hospital?
Hospital liability in medical malpractice claims can be complex. In situations where you suffered malpractice due to the actions of a hospital employee, such as a nurse or medical assistant, you can almost certainly file a lawsuit against the facility. However, many doctors are not hospital employees; they are often independent contractors who operate out of the facility.
If the at-fault party is an independent contractor, liability becomes more complicated. You can hold a hospital responsible for a contractor’s actions under two scenarios.
- The hospital failed to inform you that the doctor was an independent contractor and he or she appeared to be a hospital employee.
- The doctor had a history of dangerous or negligent behavior, the hospital was aware of this history, and the hospital failed to take action against the doctor.
If your case does not fall under those two scenarios, you will need to file a claim against the doctor directly. Speak to an attorney at Fowler Pickert Eisenmenger Norfleet to determine who may be liable.
Contact a Kansas City Hospital Negligence Lawyer
Hospitals are supposed to be safe facilities where we can receive proper care. If you are the victim of hospital negligence, you may be eligible for financial compensation — and the Kansas City medical malpractice attorneys at Fowler Pickert Eisenmenger Norfleet can help.
Our lawyers will utilize our firm’s network of resources and expert witnesses to craft a compelling case for your recovery.
Have You or a Loved One Been Injured Due to Medical Malpractice in Kansas City, Missouri?
If you believe you or a loved one has been harmed due to medical practice you should speak with an experienced medical malpractice lawyer as soon as possible. Please feel free to contact us online or call our office directly at 816.832.4688 to schedule your free consultation. We are proud to serve Kansas City, Missouri, and the surrounding area and look forward to speaking with you.