Medical Malpractice at Belton, MO City Hospitals
Posted in Lawsuit on March 24, 2020
When we go to the hospital, we are often at our most vulnerable. During this period, we trust that the doctors, nurses, and other medical professionals we encounter will treat us with a certain standard of care — and we certainly do not expect these individuals to harm us. Unfortunately, medical malpractice can occur at any hospital — even facilities in Belton, Missouri. If you are a victim of medical malpractice, you have legal remedies available to you. Contact the Kansas City medical malpractice lawyers at our Missouri law firm today.
What Is Medical Malpractice?
Medical malpractice occurs when a doctor, surgeon, anesthesiologist, or any other healthcare provider treating you in a professional capacity fails to uphold his or her duty of care and causes harm to you. This harm can be due to a negligent act or a failure to act, and can lead to significant physical, emotional, and financial consequences.
Common types of medical malpractice include, but are not limited to, the following acts.
- Misdiagnosis of a medical condition
- Failure to accurately diagnose a condition
- Prescribing the wrong medication
- Prescribing the wrong dosage of a medication
- Performing surgery on the wrong body part
- Administering the wrong amount of anesthesia
- Leaving a foreign object in the body during surgery
- Improper use of medical equipment
- Birth injuries, such as failure to monitor an infant’s oxygen levels during delivery
In the state of Missouri, you have the right to collect financial compensation for the damages you suffered as a result of the malpractice. These damages may include expenses such as medical bills, disability accommodations, and lost wages during your recovery time.
Not only can you file a lawsuit against the individual healthcare provider directly responsible for the harm, but you may be eligible to hold the hospital liable as well.
Proving a Missouri Hospital’s Negligence in a Medical Malpractice Case
While you can hold an entire facility accountable in your lawsuit, hospitals only hold liability in certain circumstances. Determining whether or not your case is eligible depends on the individual healthcare provider’s employment status.
If the provider is an employee of the hospital, you can name the facility in your lawsuit. If the provider was not an employee but an independent contractor operating out of the hospital, you can hold the facility accountable under certain circumstances.
- If the hospital failed to inform you that the provider was an independent contractor and he or she appeared to be an employee, you can file the claim against the facility.
- If the provider had a history of dangerous or negligent behavior, and the hospital was aware of the behavior and failed to take action, you could name the hospital in your lawsuit.
Were You Injured at a Belton, MO Hospital?
Belton, Missouri is home to one hospital: the Belton Regional Medical Center. Belton is also within driving distance of several other hospitals and medical facilities in the local area, including the Pinnacle Regional Hospital, Saint Luke’s Community Hospital, and Menorah Medical Center. Medical malpractice can occur at each one of these sites.
If you suffered an injury or worsening illness due to the negligence of a healthcare provider at any medical facility in Belton or the surrounding areas, contact the Kansas City personal injury attorneys at Fowler Pickert Eisenmenger Norfleet today.
Our injury attorneys have significant experience assisting residents of both Missouri and Kansas with their medical malpractice claims, and can provide a number of benefits for your future claim.
- Our skilled attorneys understand the personal injury lawsuit process deeply, and can guide you through each step so you can focus on recovery, not paperwork.
- Our med mal law firm has access to a wide network of resources and expert witnesses who can help build a compelling case for your compensation.
- You may not understand what damages you may be eligible for, and our attorneys can provide guidance toward your optimal path for maximum possible compensation.
Contact us today to schedule your free consultation at our offices in Kansas City, or a more convenient location upon your request.