Catastrophic Medical Bill Lawyers in Kansas City
Surmounting medical debt can happen in the blink of an eye. Even if you have health insurance, expenses covering unforeseen circumstances can quickly leave you with unmanageable debt. If you or a loved one is facing catastrophic medical bills, you’ll need the guidance of a knowledgeable Kansas City, MO based catastrophic medical bill attorney.
Regardless of your insurance status, contact the team at Fowler Pickert Eisenmenger Norfleet in Kansas City, Missouri. We have years of experience in working with medical related cases, including financial trouble. It is often the case that the hospital made a mistake that has led to catastrophic medical bills. Even when that’s not what has happened, we can provide you with guidance and assistance when speaking with medical providers.
Catastrophic Medical Bill Abuse
Hospitals and care facilities use a number of different methods to ensure their care is covered financially. Sometimes those tactics become abusive and unfair to those who seek treatment. Securing the services of a qualified catastrophic medical bill lawyer will provide you with the detailed knowledge of the medical system you need to contest and correct catastrophic medical bills.
Here are some of the ways treatment facilities can be financially abusive:
- Bringing lawsuits against patients and their families. Did you know that your medical provider has the ability to send your medical debt to collections agencies, have your wages garnished, or take you to court? If you cannot pay for medical debt, they may not work with you to arrange a payment plan.
- Failing to offer free or discounted services as a nonprofit. Many hospitals are legally registered as nonprofits. If your treatment facility advertises itself as a nonprofit, but doesn’t offer free or discounted services or some other form of financial assistance, you may have a case against the hospital.
- Denying patients treatment. If you face a declination of care because of medical debt, you may not be able to receive the treatment you deserve. This can be devastating, especially for those who live in rural areas with fewer options for health care.
- Coercing patients with collections and credit score decline. Many credit score issues and cases are the result of medical debt. Medical debt that has gone to collections can severely decrease your credit score, even if you are diligent with your finances.
- Offering credit cards. It is inadvisable to open a credit card to pay for medical expenses. Many cards that are offered through your treatment facility will have high annual percentage rates that increase rapidly over a short period of time. Using one of these credit cards could leave you facing much more debt than you originally owed.
Kansas City Catastrophic Medical Bill Lawyers Legal Assistance
If you are concerned that you may be the victim of one of these collection schemes, contacting a knowledgeable catastrophic medical bill attorney is your best course of action. We’ll investigate the situation, evaluate the evidence, and make sure your rights are protected at every step of the way.
It’s easy to become confused with all the potentially misleading information medical facilities use when trying to retain payment. Your number one goal when you are injured or ill and facing medical debt should be to get well. If you have to spend your time wading through accounting and payment representatives, you may even worsen your condition. We know what treatment facilities can and cannot do under the law, and we’ll make sure they are offering you every possible means of assistance in paying off your debt reasonably.
Often when these cases arise, we find other negligence or medical malpractice. Debt collection abuse can be a sign of other poor practices. Contact us today for a consultation and to learn more about how our experienced Kansas City medical malpractice lawyers help you with your catastrophic medical bills.