What Should I Look for in a Medical Malpractice Lawyer?
Posted in Medical Malpractice on August 5, 2020
Hiring an attorney for a medical malpractice claim is incredibly important. To prove your claim, you will need to show that the medical professional in question failed to uphold his or her duty of care to you — a process that requires medical experts, investigative resources, and knowledge of medical malpractice law.
A medical malpractice attorney can provide all of these services to you, but with so many firms available to choose from, how do you know you are hiring the right person? Examining potential attorneys against a set of certain criteria can aid you in this important decision.
Step #1: Compile a List of Candidates
Medical malpractice is a specialized field of law, and you want to hire an attorney with experience handling these claims for your case. Just like you wouldn’t want to hire a criminal defense attorney for your divorce case, you don’t want to hire someone without a background in medical malpractice for this type of lawsuit.
When beginning your search, look for firms that specialize in medical malpractice claims in your local area. You can also ask friends and family members for any recommendations. Remember to search for a plaintiff’s lawyer; some medical malpractice attorneys represent healthcare professionals defending themselves from lawsuits, while others represent injured people.
Many top medical malpractice firms have a limit on the number of cases they can accept, so try to find at least 10 potential attorneys to begin your search. Compile their names and websites into a separate list, and refer to this list as you narrow down the available options.
Step #2: Research Their Backgrounds
Once you identify a list of potential candidates, it is necessary to research their backgrounds and track records prior to contacting them for a free consultation. You want to find the best possible attorney for your lawsuit, and a few key indicators can help you identify whether or not an attorney is right for your case.
- Look at the attorney’s website, biographical information, and legal background. Does he or she have experience in medical malpractice? Does his or her website seem credible and have helpful information?
- Check the firm’s online reviews and testimonials. What do their former clients say about working with them? Are the reviews largely positive or negative? Remember that someone who loses a case may write a bad review regardless of the attorney’s role in the outcome.
- See if the attorney is an active member or leader of any legal organizations, or is the recipient of awards recognizing his or her work. An attorney with a strong track record of successful settlements is likely to hold these designations.
Step #3: Schedule Your Free Consultations
Once you narrow down your list to a select group of candidates, contact each firm to schedule a free consultation. During your consultation, come prepared with a list of questions to gain a better understanding of how the firm operates and what you can expect if you choose to work with this attorney.
Common questions for medical malpractice attorneys include the following.
- What is the firm’s fee arrangement like?
- What percentage of the firm’s caseload involves medical malpractice claims?
- How many of the firm’s cases go to trial, and how many settle?
- Who will handle the bulk of the work for the lawsuit? Will you work mostly with an attorney, or will a case manager or paralegal handle your claim?
- Has the firm handled cases similar to yours in the past?
Using this process, you can find a Kansas City medical malpractice attorney with the right experience and knowledge of your claim, and the resources necessary to pursue your case to the final stages. Investing in a malpractice attorney is an investment in your future recovery; a thorough, measured search will help you identify the best candidate.