What to Do if a Government-Owned Car Hits You

Car accidents can happen at any time, in any place. In Missouri, negligent drivers are financially responsible for any accidents that they cause. If you are injured in a collision, you have the right to pursue a claim against the at-fault motorist and recover compensation to pay for your losses.

If your case involves a government employee, additional considerations will apply. You will not only need to deal with insurance following the collision—you will also need to deal with the agency that owned the vehicle. In these situations, it is important to speak with an attorney as soon as possible.

Your Rights After a Government-Involved Collision in Missouri

Claims involving government agencies follow different rules than other car accident cases. If you are hit by a car in Missouri and the vehicle is owned by a state or local government agency, your case will fall under the Missouri Tort Claims Act. Federal employees are subject to liability under the Federal Tort Claims Act.

These laws make it possible to hold the government accountable for accidents, but the process can be complicated. In Missouri, state and local government agencies in Missouri are immune to liability thanks to a doctrine known as sovereign immunity. However, there are some exceptions to this rule.

According to Section 537.600 of the Missouri Revised Statutes, you can pursue a claim against the government in the following cases.

Unlike car accident claims against private citizens, which follow a five-year statute of limitations, claims against the government have a shorter filing deadline. You must bring your claim against the government within 90 days of the accident.

Steps to Take After a Government-Owned Car Hits You

Time is of the essence following a government-involved car accident. Because the filing deadline is so short, it is necessary to initiate your case as soon as possible. Take the following steps after the accident to seek help and gather evidence for your case.

After you consult with an attorney, he or she will help prepare your formal written claim. Your attorney will gather the information necessary to file your claim and complete all of the required forms, helping you avoid potential administrative errors.

A Kansas City car accident lawyer can provide several important benefits throughout the government tort claims process. As soon as possible following your collision, speak to an attorney and take your first steps toward filing a claim.